The American diet contains so many unhealthy foods that it is difficult to name just a few. Sometimes it seems as if food manufacturers and restaurant
chefs are in a contest to see who can come up with the least nutritional, most destructive foods they can put together. Here is a short list of the
most common top ten unhealthy foods.
1. White Pasta - This food crops up in a number of different guises, and all of them are nutritionally deficient, high carb disasters. Packaged pasta
meals, such as packaged macaroni and cheese or canned spaghetti products are the worst of all.
2. Processed Meats - Many people have a variety of processed meats in their diets. These foods offer some protein, but it is often in the form of meat
byproducts. A large amount of food additives are used to make them palatable, keep them from spoiling, and make them look more appealing. These meats
include lunch meats and hot dogs.
3. Chips - It does not matter whether the chips are potato chips, corn chips, or any kind of novelty chips. If they are fried in oil and doused in
salt, they are horrible for diet and nutrition. Besides the fact that chips are unhealthy to begin with, it is also easy to overindulge in them.
4. Canned Soups - There may be a few canned soups that are not as unhealthy as others, but the majority of them are packed with sodium. Most of them
are so over-processed that they have little nutritional value in them at all.
5. Baked Beans - Baked beans are rarely healthy, even if you make them at home because of the sugars and bacon most people add for flavoring. Canned
baked beans are even worse, because they add to that a high level of sodium, and even more sugar content.
6. Soda - Most people realize that soda pop is unhealthy for them. Yet, they drink large bottles and cups of cola drinks every day without giving it a
thought. Others drink diet sodas, thinking they are avoiding the unhealthy aspects of cola. The truth is the diet sodas tend to create cravings for
sugared products and may increase appetite.
7. Onion Blossom Appetizers - The onion blossom is one of the unhealthiest appetizers there is. It is breaded and fried, and served dripping with
grease along with a fatty sauce for dipping. Any nutritional value the onion ever had has been cooked out of it.
8. Fast Food Burgers and Fries - Some fast food hamburgers have over 500 calories with over half of those calories taken up by fat. Add to that a large
order of fries, and you will probably be in the neighborhood of over 1000 calories from this low nutrition meal.
9. Fried Chicken - Fried chicken is obviously very high in fat. What is more, restaurant portion sizes encourage people to eat a large amount of fried
chicken at one sitting. The sad thing is that many people hear the word "chicken" and think they are eating a healthy food. Unfortunately, this is not
10. Doughnuts - Doughnuts are a common treat, and a common breakfast food to eat at home or at the office. They are usually made of refined white
flour, and fried in oil. They are high in calories, trans-fatty acids, and they have little to offer in the way of nutrients. Your diet and nutrition
will improve if you avoid all these 10 unhealthy foods.